Tears

Today there's been tears. It's true that I've been feeling a little sick; it is, after all, the Congo and those things happen. It's also true that frustration and discouragement mount at times and spill over in one form or another (tears being the most likely candidate for me, at least of late). But then there was the story of our young guard. He came to the door today and asked for something to eat saying that he hadn't eaten since the day before. So as I warmed up some food for him, I felt something break again in my heart. What is this place, that a young man who works seven days a week, 365 days a year is brought so low that he has to suffer the indignity of asking for food? I know that tears won't fill his belly. But I cried anyway. Tears of sadness. Tears of anger. Tears of shame. Tears of wondering if the tears will ever end. Will he and so many others ever eat until they are filled? How will they understand a God who cares when their stomachs say otherwise? Will this all one day really be something of the past?


“You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.” Psalm 56:8

Comments

  1. Oh, Brenda, I had days like that too. So many Africans go hungry year after year. When we hear statistics about the undernourished in Africa, it doesn't impact us as much as when someone we know, someone who feels like one of the family, is hungry. Bless you for your generosity. God no doubt put you into your guard's life just so you could help him at this time.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts