Reality check

"For you are a holy people, who belong to the Lord your God.  Of all the people on earth, the Lord your God has chosen you to be his own special treasure.  The Lord did not set his heart on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other nations, for you were the smallest of all nations!  Rather, it was simply that the Lord loves you, and he was keeping his oath [promise] he had sworn to your ancestors.  That is why the Lord rescued you with such a strong hand from your slavery....Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is indeed God.  He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands."  Deut. 7:6-9

So there we have it.  The ugly, awesome truth.  We're not anything great and yet we are great.  We're special but not because we're special.  Our preciousness comes from God's vast storehouse of goodness, greatness and grace.  When God looked upon us, He didn't say "Wow!  I really want to be on their team!"  Rather He, because of the fact that His middle name is Love, said "In spite of everything I will allow you to play in my game".  God loved us.  And God kept His promise.  And that is the reality.  Not our skill.  Not our gifts. Not our winsome personality.   Not our intelligence or education or diplomas or doctorates.  Not our heritage.  Not our money.  Not our power or influence.  Not our smooth talking.  Not our kindness.  Not our good living.  Not our morality.  Just simply because His nature is love.  I really don't get it.  Nothing to offer, yet He loved me.  He chose me.  He considers me His special treasure - He who owns all.  He freed me.  Rescued me.  Delivered me. Sanctifies me.  And lavishes His love on me.  Day after day.  I am so thankful that it all does not depend on me.  In reality it's just God being God.

Comments

Popular Posts