When God Says it is Long Enough

« Then we turned around and headed back across the wilderness toward the Red Sea, just as the Lord had instructed me, and wandered around the region ... for a long time. Then at last the Lord said to me, 'You have been wandering around in this hill country long enough; turn to the north.' » Deuteronomy 2:1,2
Oh those Israelites; I did tell you they were favourites of mine. Somehow I get them. Their story is paralleled in my own in so many respects. In this particular instance, God sent them on a time out. Not to their rooms, mind you, but out into a wild and dangerous wilderness. And it was a long time out. Forty years' worth, in fact, which translates into half a lifetime. Half a life in a wilderness time out. The ruggedness and starkness of this place to chasten and refine, but also to act as their teacher, to instruct them. There, God could have their undivided attention, far from the lights and attractions of city and “normal” life. No longer in Egypt. Not yet in Canaan. But the truth is you can only stay in wilderness school so long. Eventually even the strange comfort of the wilderness needs to be left behind. I am somehow sure that though initially they hadn't wanted to go there, the fear of leaving that barren but familiar place after decades of knowing it and living in it, terrified them. But God tells them in no uncertain terms, “Enough”. You have been in this wilderness long enough. Come out. Move on. Turn to the north.

I think of times in my life when I have found myself in wilderness places. Places that I got to by my own deliberate, willing and stubborn choices or by apathy and coldness of heart. Sometimes my heavenly Father has handed a disciplining time out for me His wayward child. Sometimes I was simply too fearful to enter into all God had in store for me and so I chose to spend my time in solitary desert regions. How often do my wildernesses hold me captive long after time enough? Though I know it's not all that God has designed for me, it seems harder to leave that place than to stay, even though lands of promise await and the God of the promise is with me.

I do love the assurance that God gives, even when we wander in wildernesses. Verse 7 says “For the Lord your God has blessed you in everything you have done. He has watched your every step through this great wilderness. During these forty years, the Lord your God has been with you, and you have lacked nothing.” Isn't that just like Him? Even when He administers wilderness time outs, He accompanies us there, cares for us and tells us when enough is enough.  'Come out', He calls. Let down your defences. Forgive. Let go. Move on. Turn north. And I will be with you always and everywhere even to the end of the world.

Comments

  1. Your posts today is again full of truth and richness. I, too, have a special love for Old Testament characters and stories. Thank you for your insights, your encouragement, your example. The part that makes my heart sing is: “For the Lord your God has blessed you in everything you have done. He has watched your every step through this great wilderness. During these forty years, the Lord your God has been with you, and you have lacked nothing.” If we will take the time and make the effort to look back, we can find that's true in each of our wilderness roamings, and that's worth celebrating. Thanks again.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts