Quietly. Patiently. Waiting.

I remember back in my teens the very first time I ever read the book of Habakkuk.  It stirred my soul with longing, answering in a sense the unanswerable.

As I sit here now in Congo, many years later, the truth of Habakkuk again resounds within me only this time in the context of these many new life experiences.

“Must I forever see this sin and misery around me?”1:3  Is there a day goes by in this place when this thought does not enter into my head and become the cry of my heart? “The law has become paralyzed and useless, and there is no justice given in the courts.  The wicked far outnumber the righteous, and justice is perverted with bribes and trickery” 1:4  I can’t help but ask myself did Habakkuk live in the Congo too??

But just as Habakkuk looks around at his situation and is appalled, disturbed and saddened, the reality of this place weighs on me too as I turn to God and beg Him to do something.

Watch and be astounded at what I will do!  For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it” 1:5  Is this your answer to my cry?  Could it be that you are quietly, under cover doing things that as of yet I’m not aware of?
God reassures that “these things I plan won’t happen right away.  Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled.  If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place.”2:3  It will take place?  But what, Lord?  Tell me what you are doing.

Slowly.  Steadily.  Surely.

Quietly.  Patiently.  Waiting.

And God whispers to me…
“For the time will come when all the earth will be filled, as the waters fill the sea, with an awareness of the glory of the Lord.” 2:14

How can I respond to His magnificence and to this awesome plan?

“I have heard all about you, Lord, and I am filled with awe by the amazing things you have done. In this time of our deep need, begin again to help us, as you did in years gone by.  Show us your power to save us.  And in your anger, remember your mercy.” 3:2


And I think of why I’m here in this place of brokenness, my brokenness, and with these yearnings within to see my African brothers and sisters stepping up, stepping into God’s global glory programme.  And so, “Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren, even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet. I. will. rejoice. in. the. Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation.  The Sovereign Lord is my strength!” 3:17-19

Comments

Popular Posts