Wasted

I have decided to waste my life.

Extravagantly waste it.

Not talking about trips to the mall, vacations in paradisaical destinations, or mind numbing pursuits of hedonism.

I'm talking about full blown, all out, all chips on the table. wasting. my. life.  Whether anyone else out there understands it.  Whatever it costs in this my one life.

During supper, a woman came in with a beautiful jar of expensive perfume.  She broke the seal and poured the perfume over his [Jesus] head.  Some of those at the table were indignant.  "Why was this expensive perfume wasted?" they asked.  "She could have sold it for a small fortune and given the money to the poor!"  And they scolded her harshly.  But Jesus replied, "Leave her alone.  Why berate her for doing such a good thing to me?  ... She has done what she could..."    Mark 14:3-6,8

Waste is an evaluation given by the one looking on.  It is determined by what we consider value or valuable.  The real crux of the matter is knowing who is doing the determining of what is value and what is waste.  Imagine the king of the universe saying you've wasted well.

So, Jesus, pouring out my perfume today.  Wasting it.  Extravagantly.

Comments

Popular Posts