"Let our children see your glory"

I am thinking generationally these days.  Perhaps because my parents are in their 80's and each visit with them is couched with wondering how many more of those times will I be privileged to have.  Or because I'm seeing my own kids maturing, growing older, making lives for themselves and I realize that time is indeed marching on.  Perhaps too it comes from spending time and interacting with my own two little grandsons.  I am realizing in a way I never have before the reality of heritage, legacy and life beyond myself.  Whatever the reasons, recently a number of texts seemed to have a common theme and one that resonated with me.

Judges 2:6 says "And the Israelites served the Lord throughout the lifetime of Joshua and the leaders who outlived him - those who had seen all the great things the Lord had done for Israel."  These were people who had personally experienced God, His miracles, His goodness, grace and love.  They had seen enough to keep them on track throughout their lives.  Faithful to the end.  Seeing was believing in their case.

But then the text continues in verses 10,11 with this sad assessment :  "After that generation died, another generation grew up who did not acknowledge the Lord or remember the mighty things he had done for Israel.  The Israelites did evil in the Lord's sight and served the images of Baal" .  Francis Schaeffer said "God does not have grandchildren" and it has always been a reminder to me that each generation has to reach its own.  We don't automatically believe just because our parents believed or experienced amazing things with God.

In the Congo, churches and leaders developed by early missionaries were not always very culturally adapted resulting often in a certain discontent with the "foreign" faith. In an effort to make it more African in essence, "Revival churches" started up and grew like wildfire. They rejected outside resources and influences. But what is happening today in the leadership of many of these congregations?  The next generation, the children of those African leaders, are once again turning their eyes toward the outside. They personally did not live the events of the past and now are attracted to the possibility of financial benefits coming from outside sources. Somehow, these children have not seen the glory of a truly indigenous African church and are being seduced by what they consider a better way.

So I guess my thought, my prayer is this :  that I would so live my life that the generations who follow me would have in every way been pointed to the glory of Jesus and  that He would permit our children and grandchildren to see, to experience for themselves the wonder of Him.

"Let us, your servants, see you work again; let our children see your glory." Psalm 90:16



Comments

Popular Posts