Our 36 Day God Adventure in the Bandundu

Day 13 : Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rest day at Tono, our 4th training site. 
Richard had been asked to speak at the church service this morning for 7AM.  I guess I wasn't in bed for a full 12 hours but it was close enough to it!  I am very thankful for these rest days after the travel days.  They allow us to relax, to get caught up on things and see a bit of the new place where we are.
When I saw Pastor Muzau this morning he was all smiles - obviously he is happy to be "chez lui".  He pastored at this mission station for 13 years a number of years ago.  It is evident that he is well loved.  I find that we too have a sort of hero's welcome because of the connection with the Canadian missionaries who first brought the gospel here.  As a matter of fact, we are in contact with some of the children of those original missionaries back in Canada.  We will be seeing them when we return to Canada in November.  They are very anxious to hear about what we see and discover during our time here.  They left with their families around the time of independance over 50 years ago.
In this district, there is one woman pastor - Pastor Annie, a young wife and mother.  When I saw her this morning I said to her that I would like to wash a few clothes so she took me to a spot where I could wash using a couple of buckets of water.  We talked together as I did my laundry.  She's mom to 3 little children - 2 boys and a girl just like me!  As I sit writing this, my laundry is drying over a bamboo pole.  Very relaxing sitting out in the shade under the trees!  Really liking Tono!!
Later on Richard and I decided to go for a little walk around the mission station.  A few pastors who have already arrived for the training, accompanied us.  I stopped by one house where 2 young men were outside under a tree, the one sewing using an old style manual sewing machine - there's no electricity here, of course.  When we returned, the pastor who worked as cook for the Canadian mission family Dolby,gave us a tour around the houses that had been built and lived in by the missionaries.  We also went down the hill path leading to the river edge.  We discovered a tomb beside the path part way down the hill and he explained that it was one of Pastor Muzau's children, a baby, who had died during his pastorate at Tono.   We continued down until we could stand on large rocks by the river.  Beautiful. The water is quite fast moving in this area.     Really I would have to say that this is one of the prettiest spots I've seen in the Congo.  All in all, a lovely day.  Thank you, Lord!
 

Comments

Popular Posts